Essay #1

American environmentalist John Muir stated, “The power of imagination makes us infinite.”
Art has been an intrinsic part of me from a very young age, but became ritualistic four years ago.  My husband became very ill while attending graduate school in Arizona.  Our families lived 12 hours away, and I had to find a way to keep our little family of five functioning.  Every day was a balance of caring for my young children, and keeping my husband alive.  

In solitude each night, I started painting again.  I learned about technical pen, and rediscovered the art of mark making. The tension melted away and gave balance to the chaos.  Our living room became an art studio, where my children and I could create unrestrained.  I utilized this artistic coping mechanism, and watched our walls fill with more than one hundred pieces of art by my children and myself. Now, four years later, my husband's art has begun to join ours again.

There is an influence of nature that becomes prevalent in my work.   I wrongfully assumed that there wasn't a place for my art and ideas in the art world.   I have been pursuing ways to be relevant in contemporary art, while fueling my work with the themes I care most about.  This is accomplished through the realization that art is NOT linear, and IS subjective.

I have reinforced that realization by further study of printmaking. Printmaking has been invaluable to my process as an artist.  It has forced me to get out of my head and just make.  I am learning how to prevent the setting of unnecessary parameters on my work... thus allowing new directions and possibilities to be attainable.  The self-imposed restrictions were stunting my progression as an artist, and as a creative thinker.

This will be vital to remember for my success as an art teacher. When deciding to go back to school after a 10 year hiatus, I became a non-traditional, older student. This has given me greater insight and appreciation for my education, and my art.  I know what I want to do, and I am developing my teaching philosophy to work as a vehicle for my progression as well as my future students. I want to give students tangible, immersive opportunities to share that piece of their personal history.