Amanda Joy BFA- Equilibrium

"Equilibrium"
 Pine wood carving intersected with copper pipe.
24"x24"
Pine wood mandala carved with wood gouge and dremel tool.  Detailed with black acrylic paint, copper foil, copper pipe, crushed green malachite stone inlay, black charcoal, and bees wax sealant.
3D 1130
April 2017


Equilibrium
 
Carl Jung was a Swiss Psychiatrist that wrote, "A mandala is the psychological expression of the totality of the self." It becomes a sacred space were mental work can take place, also known as Temenos.  The balance and design was influenced by the artistic memory of my grandfather.  My conscious mind repressed the fifth anniversary of his passing... but my subconscious gravitated to the materials he left behind.  I used his tools and semi-precious polished stone to achieve the aesthetic symmetry. Each design leads back to the central point... the stone that encapsulates every piece of jewelry my grandfather ever created for me.  This piece=me, this piece=him.