Essay #2

In June 2017, my husband Matt had to have emergency back surgery.  He had exacerbated a former injury while weight lifting, and could barely walk. Due to complications, he was at the hospital four extra days, and I was told by the surgeon that there should have been partial paralysis. We were fortunate, but there was a lot of down time, during a difficult time.

The injury affected his severe anxiety, that took processing and communication. We utilized this time to collaborate on some artistic ideas, that became intrinsic to my current body of work.

The words we say to people who are suffering emotionally, physically, but especially mentally are important. Unfortunately, society is filled with hollow conversations and empty platitudes.  These seemingly benign phrases are rarely beneficial.  When a relative tells my husband that "Everything happens for a reason", or a neighbor tells him to "have more faith, hang in there"

... they are unknowingly tearing down rather than building up.

Therein lies the problem- people are opening their mouths, without realizing the full impact they have on a person who is suffering. People want to say, "How are you?" with the response being, "Good." not an actual in depth conversation, exposing vulnerability.

The individual in pain becomes more isolated, when empty platitudes are used. There is little validation... it is a one sided conversation, lending toward surface instead of depth.  My woodcut project is a series of seven, intended to change the dialog, and the way in which we have it.  This is a manifestation of my progression... as I was complicit.  When I did not know if I would come home to find my husband alive, I was saying what I thought was helpful... when it was much better if I shut my mouth, and held him while he rocked back and forth.

This body of work is to create mindfulness.